- 1.5 lbs Late Summer Wildflower Honey (Talking Oak Farm, WI)
- 3 lbs Northern Brewer Orange Blossom Honey (CA)
- 3 lbs Skalko's Honey Bee Farm Honey (Esko, MN)
- 3 lbs Duluth Whole Foods Coops Honey (God Knows Where, USA)
- 1 cup Northern Brewer's Gold Malt Extract (for protein, rather than that nasty chemical mead nutrient)
- 1 handful o'hops from Grant Anderson (thank you Grant!)
- Lalvin EC-1118 Sabayanus Champagne yeast (Champagne yeast:beer yeast::SWAT team:suburban cop)
I racked this on November 16th, 2008, and added 1/2 cup of Hungarian Adro Forest Honey (fantastic stuff). Tasted too sweet then, despite the commando-like efforts of the champagne yeast.
This second racking, I added a tiny bit (3/16 cup) of brown sugar and 2 heavily steeped tea bags of some rather bitter Ceylon tea. I hope the tea will cut the excessive sweetness a bit (this is a pretty traditional thing to add to meads).
If all goes well, this will be bottled in a month.